Steak and Veg
This is one of our favorite winter dinners. Its got a great HBV protein hit (HBV = high biological value), heaps of antioxidants (Those good things that keep our cells going and free-radicals away... think anti-ageing), small low GI carbohydrate hit perfect after a work out for replenishing muscle glycogen and a delicious flavor!!
Key things to note.
The more veggies the merrier they a nutrient dense, high fibre and low calories (read, won't go strait to your toosh).
Choosing low GI Carbohydrates gives off a sustainable energy and usually are high in fibre.
Choosing meat that is grass fed over grain fed is important. for not only calorie density but essential fats (see our post STEAK 101 grass vs grain for more info)
This is one of our favorite go to easy cook ups..
Eye Fillet Steak with Sweet potato rosemary mash, blanched asparagus, ratatouille an mushroom confit.
Don't worry it's easier then it sounds..
1 Sweet potato, diced
1 tsp rosemary, finely chopped (fresh or dried)
- Boil potato till soft, drain water and mash (we use our bar mix to make it smooth).
- Stir in rosemary.
1 tsp olive oil
1 brown onion, sliced into rings
1 zucchini, sliced into rings
2 cans crushed tomato
-We use a V-Slicer to get our vegetables extra thin.
- Heat pan, add oil and onions and brown till soft and see through over medium heat.
- Add zucchini and and cook for further 2 mins on medium heat.
- Add tomato cook till boiler and reduce to simmer.
- Stir occasionally until ready to serve.
1 tsp butter/olive oil
250g of Mushrooms, sliced however you like (We like them quartered)
2 tsp flat leaf parsley chopped finely
pinch of salt
- Pan on low heat, add oil and mushrooms cook till tender
- Add parsley, continue to cook on slow heat.
1-2 bunches of asparagus (we also love broccolini)
- Boil water in frying pan
- Add asparagus and boil till bright green
- Remove from water and rinse with cold water to stop cooking
Eye Fillet Steak
2 150-200g Lean Eye Fillet steaks (Can also use Rump, we like Eye because it is lower in fat)
- Key is to use a heavy frying pan as this gives an even heat (We love our Scanpan grill because it leaves the cute criss cross see picture)
-.Heat pan at med-high
- Place steaks on pan, cook for 2 mins per side, flip 3 times for medium rare (on our stove it is)
Serve up and enjoy!
Serves 2 (but you'll have some left over veggies for lunch tomorrow)